Saturday, October 25, 2008
How To Make A Diamond Necklace For Your Dog....
These sparkling necklaces are simple to make with grosgrain ribbon and dangling rhinestone trim.
Tools and Materials
Needle and thread
Rhinestone trim and dangle
Two 3/8-inch snaps
Dog Necklaces How-To
1. Begin by measuring your dog's collar size using measuring tape. Cut a strip of 3/4-inch-wide grosgrain ribbon to your dog's collar length, plus an additional 3 inches. Fray check each end of the cut ribbon. Trim the ribbon ends with pinking shears.
2. Fold under 1 inch of the ribbon at each end. Using a sewing machine, stitch the folded ribbon hem in place.
3. Cut two pieces of rhinestone -- one a rhinestone dangle, the other a strip of rhinestone trim -- to fit the hemmed collar, minus 1 inch.
4. Using a sewing machine, sew the rhinestone dangle trim to the bottom of the grosgrain ribbon. Then use a needle and thread to hand-stitch a strip of rhinestone trim directly above the dangling rhinestone.
5. Unsnap two 3/8-inch snaps. Hand-stitch the snap sockets (the indented sides of snaps), one beside the other, to the 1-inch hem. Stitch the snap balls (the protruding sides of snaps) on reverse side of other end, so snaps will meet when hems are brought together.
Rhinestone trim and dangles are available on mjtrim.com. On today's show, Martha used rhinestone trim No. 30472 crystal/silver and rhinestone dangle No. 30967 crystal/silver. Actress Nikki Blonsky used rhinestone trim No. 03603 crystal/silver and rhinestone dangle No. 31851 crystal/silver. Snaps can be found at sewing and crafts stores.
Courtesy of Martha Stewart dot com